Baby potatoes are a perfect ingredient for students to keep in their kitchen and they don’t break your budget. They are cheap (you can pick up 1kg for around 60p in Aldi), they last for ages, and are very versatile.
However, when asked to think about baby potatoes, most students will imagine a small, sad, boiled potato plonked down on their plate with just the smallest hint of flavour. But baby potatoes can be so much more than that, and I’m here to tell you how. The best thing is, potatoes on a student budget can be tasty and a savvy investment.
This recipe tells you how to make delicious, flavourful paprika roasted potatoes which pack a punch with garlicky notes and a crispy texture. Like most student recipes, it is simple, requires ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard (or can pick up cheaply), and takes minimal prep time.
If you’re not a rule-follower, never fear- this recipe can be followed as closely or loosely as you want. Chuck in extra ingredients or spices if it suits you. Slice up the potatoes differently if that is what your heart desires.
Let’s dive in.
- New potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic paste
- Olive oil
Let’s get started on the roasted baby potatoes
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to put a fork through (for about ten minutes on medium-high heat).
- Drain the water and cut each potato into halves or quarters depending on the size of them and how big you want them each to be.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large roasting dish and put the potatoes on top.
- Add salt and pepper onto the potatoes, as well as three teaspoons of garlic paste.
- Cover the potatoes with paprika, and toss them around so they are evenly covered.
- Add three teaspoons of butter into the dish and put it in the oven.
- Roast for around 30-40 minutes at 200°, or until they look crispy.
The great thing about this recipe is that it works as either a side dish, or as the main attraction if you just fancy a snack. Once you have served up the potatoes, cover with garlic mayo and sprinkle paprika on top. Delicious!
Read next: How Meal Prep Can Help Save You Money